Monday, February 13, 2012

The Poisoner's HandBook By Deborah Blum
     For my literacy glog I chose to read The Poisoner's HandBook.  I chose  this book because it is about how forensic science started in the roaring twenties. What caught my interest in reading it, was how many poisons were not able to be detected through forensic evidence and how forensic science has changed over time. So far on what I have read, I have found out that many murders were every hard to investigate because many of the poisons were hard to find in a human body. According to the book on page 10 for example the poison chloroform, a person could take one-third of an ounce, and would die within minutes. An autopsy in the book stated ""Therefore we can establish nothing by exhuming the bodies. Mors may have given each of his victims a quart of chloroform but we couldn't prove it by an autopsy."" pg13. When I read this sentence I was fascinated on how much has changed over time. In autopsy then, one was not able to determine poisons in a body, but now with new technology one is able to determine in an autopsy how much of a poison is the body and what type of poison was consumed by the person.

No comments:

Post a Comment